Sunday, September 6, 2009

On Spirituality.

Seeking God is my top priority in life.

I’ve only begun doing it consistently in earnest recently.

The physical pain and mental anxiety I experienced from fibromyalgia, migraine, and various other ailments are what led me to it.  I believe those problems arose in my life specifically so I could make this change.

Maybe I’m a cliche, but a mix of reading the Bible and Deepak Chopra books has helped quite a bit as well.

Maybe I don’t have a label to give myself (Christian, Buddhist, etc.), but I feel like I’ve been “born again” in my own way.  Maybe I don’t profess faith in the virgin birth or the resurrection, but I feel like I am a “believer” of sorts and cannot help but feel happy about “my faith.”  I want to celebrate, but haven’t yet decided how.

So what do I believe, exactly?

That God exists.  That I am not separate from him/her/it.  That the God of all major religions is the same God being viewed through different lenses.  That people who speak of Spirit, the Universe, energy, Light, Lord, Mother-Father etc. are all talking about the same thing.  That God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, and loving.

That faith means knowing you are taken care of by God and do not have to worry about yourself.  Knowing that even in the worst-feeling and worst-seeming situations, things are okay.  Faith is shown by surrender.  If you’re worrying, you aren’t having faith.  If you’re trying to control the situation or predict the future, you aren’t having faith.

That the major opposites in play in this world are not good and evil, but love and fear.  The most perfect love is God’s love, and it can remove all fear.  How to make decisions?  Look at your motivation.  If it is fear, what you’re about to do is not in line with God.

That spiritual growth is like tending to a garden.  You don’t pull a few weeds and become finished.  It is a process that is never ending.  You might have to pull those same weeds everyday for the rest of your life.  You definitely need the on-going water and sunshine.

That the most important priority I can have is to seek God.  It doesn’t matter if my To do list is 5 pages deep or if I have something scheduled right now or even if people are counting on me.  God comes first, and I should be consciously connected before I partake in anything.

[Via http://elginjessica.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment