Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Facing my own Sx, Dx, and Tx

When you live with a loved one who is grappling with one or more mental illness challenges, your own self care can take a back seat. When it is storm time you find yourself bustling about boarding up windows and bringing in the patio furniture. When the storm passes you are so relieved that you exhale and bask in the sun for a while.

But what happens when your loved one has received a thoughtful diagnosis (Dx), is getting adequate treatment (Tx), and is actually managing their symptoms (Sx) pretty darn well over all? What is your routine then? When your job as “storm trooper” (a phrase I just coined) is obsolete, how you redefine your place in the family and in your world?

I have noticed that in the last couple years of relative calm since my spouse’s Sx, Dx, and Tx are all managed pretty well that I have felt a little lost. What does that make me? A good spouse? Co-dependent or crazy? I don’t know, but I have figured out that I had my own depressive Sx that I have needed to seek Tx for. Symptoms like fatigue, chronic pain, lack of motivation, feeling overwhelmed. Does that mean I have depression… or fibromyalgia? It is all just words. I want to know what is wrong and how to make it better. 

Will I ever be in a place to have more answers and fewer questions? Will I have more energy and less pain? Is there ever a magic solution? Well, that is one question I know the answer to… no.

I actually found a little article I liked on ways to reduce stress. I’m going to go read that again.

[Via http://journey2balance.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment